Friday, July 22, 2022

DC Street Art

 In 2017, I published a book on street art in the District of Columbia. It can be purchased on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RT9G6H. This has been one of my more popular books, with over 100 copies of the paperback version selling from 2020 to 2022 alone, which is almost unprecedented for a book of photographs that wasn't from a nationally known photographer.


Most of the photos for that book were in digital format on a stand-alone hard drive which was destroyed when my house burned down in 2021, but I had a chance recently to go back to one of the areas where I saw some of the most striking street art, the Shaw Neighborhood of DC. Once the black entertainment Mecca of the District, it was home to notables like Cab Calloway and Sister Rosetta Sharpe and many others. Home to Howard University, where I ran a writing workshop for Rangel Foreign Affairs scholars each summer for the past eight years (except for 2020 and 2021 when the workshops were virtual, Shaw has some of the best street art--in my humble opinion. Even some of the wall tagging is extremely artistic.

Here are some samples taken on July 21 as I walked the streets after finishing my last workshop.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Vida Designs - A New Place to Get My Photographs

If you like fine photography and fashion, you can now get them both in one place. Voices - Vida now hosts an online shop of custom-designed...