Monday, December 17, 2012

Public Reading of "Wallace in Underland"


Author Virginia Phiri reading from "Wallace in Underland"


Every writer wants his or her books to be read, and hopefully enjoyed.  One of the ways of getting your work noticed is through public readings.  In November, I had that experience vicariously when Zimbabwean novelist Virginia Phiri read my book Wallace in Underland at one of Zimbabwe’s secondary schools.  Virginia, one of Zimbabwe’s most prominent writers, had previously read and reviewed the book, and when she was invited to do a reading at the school, asked if she could read my book.  Well, of course, I said YES.
I’ll let Virginia’s own words describe the event:
I have just come back from a successful Masiyephambili Junior School Readings. The students, their teacher, the School Librarian and I had a lot of fun!

Wallace in Underland was a hit with 12 and 13 years olds. This was both boys and girls. During the questions, answers and interaction sessions the students seemed to have picked up the bullying aspect by Jamal and his friends and the abused pets sentiments. It was clear that the students were able to relate the topics to their environments.

This is a different style of writing from what they are used to but they enjoyed every minute of the reading.

It looks like there will be more of these readings in other towns and at the Book Fair.

Thank you for letting me read Wallace in Underland.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Vida Designs - A New Place to Get My Photographs

If you like fine photography and fashion, you can now get them both in one place. Voices - Vida now hosts an online shop of custom-designed...