Friday, November 30, 2012

What th' @@##$%$#@#?!!

Today is Friday and I'm doing this blog from a library computer. Why, you might ask, am I doing that? Well, having just completed the NaNoWriMo challenge of doing 50,000 words in 30 days (Actually did 55,000-plus in about 23 days), I've been busy going back over it and trying to turn it into an actual novel.

Problem was, I neglected to save each chapter as I polished it - Only had the first 4 or 5 chapters saved off my laptop - and just as I realized this wasn't a good thing and started dumping 57,000-plus words of what I thought was pretty good stuff onto a zip drive, my laptop died.  I don't mean slowed down, or started having fits; I mean died as in it just sits there, screen blank, staring back at me.  Fortunately, all my photos and other graphics had already been saved, along with other important documents - but, not THE MOST IMPORTANT document, the updated version of Dead Men Don't Answer.

I'm just about over the shock, and looking at new computer options.  In the meantime, I'm using my wife's laptop when she's not looking, or heading out to the library where people stare at me strangely as I sit muttering at the screen.  I still have all my notes, character profiles, and timelines, and with the chapters I saved, I'll get it back - and, maybe it'll be even better, because I'm now writing from a mood of total angst.

I learned a good lesson, too. ALWAYS back up your work! Do it every day, even if you're working with a brand spanking new computer.  You'll be glad you did, and you'll regret it if you don't.  That's my writing advice for this Friday.  To my favorite blogger, Becca, who does a great and funny WTF Friday blog posting, sorry for being such a downer this week, but I had to share this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Vida Designs - A New Place to Get My Photographs

If you like fine photography and fashion, you can now get them both in one place. Voices - Vida now hosts an online shop of custom-designed...